Sunday, March 27, 2011

Doors...Paint...Cabinets...Oh my!!

I have 3 big things to get to tonight, but no pictures. Sorry!!
1.) Velvet and I finished painting this week! That was a good job done! I will still have a few touch ups to do as I find them but the major painting is done. My closets still need painted but I can do them at a later time. I'm just relieved to get it done! It looks fantastic!
2.) This week I went on an adventure to get a couple new doors for my kitchen and my mudroom. I had heard about a discount place in Centerville and I decided to check it out...twice. The first time I went down there they didn't have what I needed and informed me that on the next truckload there would be something that I liked. So I went down there again this week...still nothing. So I ditched that place. I also heard about Allen's Outlet in Ottumwa. They are also a discount door, window, trim place. So I headed down to Ottumwa with high hopes. As I pull up to the front door of this HUGE warehouse I figured they have to have something that I like. I walk in, find help, go to the door section, and come up empty...again. So after 2 of my ideas being shot down, I just decided I would go to Menards and get my doors. Luckily, Menards has the doors I wanted but they are on a shelf 10 feet high. So my next mission was trying to find help. I bet I waited 45 mintues to get decent help. I would have to track down employees and when I got somebody's attention, they would pass me onto the next person. I bet I got passed on 3 times! I finally got the help and got checked out. It was quite the experience. After leaving, I now know why I decided to shop local for the HUGE majority of the things I need for my house. Yes, you may have to pay alittle bit more but when you buy local you are supporting your community and the people that helped you actually know you and seem to care more. When you meet these people on the steets; see them at ballgames; meetings; and other community activites, 99% of the time they will ask how your project turned out. I don't know about you, but that means alot to me! Especially when you are pouring so much heart and time into a project like I am. So there...that's my lecture for the day.
3.) I met with my new Amish cabinet maker yesterday. The one I had lined up turned out to be alittle bit of a weasel and passed my name on to Levi Yoder of Countryside Cabinets. I was kind of hesitant at first but after meeting and talking to Levi and looking at his samples, I'm glad I have a new builder. His work is absolutely amazing. The only bad things is that I won't be able to get Hickory cabinets so I am going with Ash. He had a sample Ash door that had it's natural finish and it looked gorgeous! So I think I will be super happy with it! Also, he told me that he could have them installed during the first week of May!! Exciting, huh??!!
Sorry about the book but there was just alot of things that went on this week! I also want to say thanks again to Velvet for the amazing paint help and to everybody that made the time to come and see the progress I have made. It means the world to me! Thanks again! You all have a great week and BEHAVE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment